Monterey Alliance for Educator Support, Training, Recruitment & Achievement
The MAESTRA Program is funded by the California School Paraprofessional Teacher Training Program for the purpose of supporting paraprofessionals through their degree and teacher preparation programs. The program recognizes the depth of experience our instructional paraprofessionals will bring to the classroom as beginning teachers. The program coordinates with school districts and local institutions of higher learning to provide assistance to each participant during their preparation for a preliminary teaching credential.
To Qualify You Must:
- Have permanent employment as an instructional aide in a Monterey County public school.
- Complete a MAESTRA Program agreement with the employing school district and the Program Coordinator.
- Complete a minimum of 12 semester units of coursework listed in the Education Plan leading toward an Associate or Bachelor’s Degree per year.
- Attend cohort meetings & communicate regularly with Cohort Leader.
- Maintain a grade point average at or above the minimum requirement (Lower Division: 2.5, Upper Division/Graduate: 2.8).
- Return all communications to the Cohort Leader or Program Coordinator as requested.
The MAESTRA Program Will:
- Give financial assistance with tuition and books as funding allows.
- Provide an experienced educator as a Cohort Leader to support and act as an advocate for participants, train participants in study skills, note-taking skills and time management.
- Continue support, as funding allows, until the participant attains a Preliminary Credential from the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing.